As I took at seat at church today by a lady that I know, she asked about my niece. She mentioned that she's growing up so fast and asked when my sister would have another. I have no idea why people continue to ask me this question like I would know. I simply replied that I wasn't sure. She then asked when I will be getting married and settling down and who was the lucky guy in my life. Mind you, this is not a close friend so I'm not too sure why she thinks this is any of her business. (SN: I do love my church folk, but they can be real nosy sometime) I told her that I'm not too sure when I'll get married and that I don't have a boyfriend. I guess she didn't believe me because she said that I'm too pretty to be alone and that there just HAS to be someone. So I said that I've been dating someone for a few months and she laughed and said "Oh he's your boyfriend, duh!"
I've heard that line too many times "you're too pretty to be alone" and it makes me mad when people even say it. However, over the past few weeks my friends have told me that they think it's funny that I won't say that I'm in a relationship. They've even gone to the extent to call the guy that I'm dating my "male escort" since I often correct them when they say "your boyfriend." :-/
Personally, I treat guys that I'm dating differently than when we're actually in a relationship.
I read a few posts about dating and there's a lot of confusion with dating vs a relationship. Find a few excerpts from posts below.
When we are dating, we are dancing as hard as we can to impress each other. Often the image we are putting out there is not our real self. In the relationship, we figured we landed the other person and stop trying. Most of you know this is true.
A relationship isn’t about obligations and is not an exchanging of mutual coercions. It is something that starts small with getting to know one another and becoming comfortable together that evolves into an innate desire to communicate more and spend time with one another. We don’t jump into hanging out in one another’s social circles and travel home to meet parents, we progress to want these things as our comfort level and feelings grow…if they grow.
According to Wikipedia, Dating is a form of courtship consisting of social activities done by two persons with the aim of each assessing the other's suitability as a partner in an intimate relationship or as a spouse. While the term has several senses, it usually refers to the act of meeting and engaging in some mutually agreed upon social activity in public, together, as a couple.
I'm confused. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I think I like it and I guess it doesn't matter what others think, right? Since they're not in the relationship...
I guess what will be, will be.
This is from one of my favorite Alfred Hitchcock films The Man Who Knew Too Much
What is your definition of dating or being in a relationship? Is there a difference?
Fabulously Yours,
Ariane Michelle

No comments:
Post a Comment